This is a quick desk analysis of government’s efforts for combating COVID-19, Pandemic till March 28, 2020. This will be the contribution to provide reference and lesson learned to work for such emergencies as well as as documentation.
Key Indicators for Dignified Menstruation in Public Spaces
These indicators are key and basic for exercising the dignified menstruation in public spaces such as school, restaurants, offices etc. The organization can make further simplify it.
- Welcome notice: You are welcome in dignified menstruation friendly organization
- Available of basic information about the dignified menstruation including focal person
- The organization should make a code of conduct for dignified menstruation and signed along with contract paper such as abolishing all forms of restrictions, speak up any form of discrimination related with menstruation
- Availability of the menstrual products including water supply, soap, disposal etc.
- Availability of first aid for menstrual related illness e.g. dysmenorrhoea (pain or cramps)
- Mainstreaming the entire program cycle including evaluation
- Have knowledge about the legal provision in case of any discrimination.
Integrating Dignified Menstruation in to School Health Programming
In Nepal, if any schools or school health institutions wish to integrate the dignified menstruation in school health, the following topics recommend by RPF. As like, `Think Globally, Act Locally’ each micro activities should be contextual and align with government’s policy on menstruation as well as contribute to the overarching SDGs as Nepal government committed.
- SDG, Role of Ministry of Health, PM’s office and linked with Dignified Menstruation – 2 hours
- Policy on Dignified Menstruation – 2 hours
- Context Mapping on Menstrual Practice in Nepal or particular that area in relation with school- 4 hours
- Gender, Sex, Human rights, Law’s on menstruation -2 hours
- Physiology of menstruation -2 hours
- Pre-menstrual and menstrual health issues and role of school and Local health institutions -2 hours
- What is Chhaupadi, its nature and impact in health, education, …..- 2 hours
- Menstrual Products in Nepal- 2 hours
- Waste management of Menstrual Products and Environment -2 hours
- Re-usable Menstrual Pad making skills – 4 hours
- Overview of school curriculum and role of school for making dignified menstrual friendly school- 2hours
- Infrastructure of toilet -2 hours
- Action Plan for future – 2 hours
Note: The methods and process can be discuss and if any organizations like to more. Based on over two decades experiences including school curriculum (grade 4-10), RPF proposed.
For menstrual month 2019, as a way to raise awareness, campaign materials have focused the need for action to change negative social norms and practices, ensure dignity for each to catalyse progress on menstrual education and to ensure everyone has dignity during menstruation.
Radha Paudel Foundation (RPF) has organized dozens of programs on `Dialogue on Dignified Menstruation’ at Pokhara with schools, media and CSO leaders from May 2-7, 2019 during the auspicious occasion of #MHDay2019. There were varieties of methods were used to explore the reality around menstrual practice due to deep silence. During course of dialogue, Radha Paudel who was the lead facilitator, asked to write of answer at their notebook by telling two questions at Girls School, Pokhara for brain storming. Two questions were
- When did you know or see the menstruation at your life at your family or community?
- How did you know that they were in menstruation? What were the features to know as menstruating girls/women?
RPF has conducted on Research on Understanding Attitudes, Perceptions, and Behaviors of Male Politicians Regarding Gender Equality and Human Rights at Bharatpur Municipality, Chitwan, Nepal. Enjoy the reading.
As I mentioned in Annual Report 2017, Radha Paudel Foundation completed second year in July 2018. Here, I would like to extend my sincere thanks and gratitude to each of you who supported me and cause even during difficult situation of my professional career…….
In Nepal, MHMPA (Menstrual Health Management Partner Alliance) agreed to celebrate May month as Menstrual month because each girl and women deserve dignity during menstruation. This year the slogan for Menstrual day is #NoMoreLimits. In this connection, Radha Paudel Foundation led, coordinate, participate at Local, National and Global level in order to built critical mass around dignified menstruation. Few activities briefly highlight in succeeding paragraphs.
Radha Paudel, Director of Radha Paudel Foundation has formally and informally involved for assessing the situation of dignified menstruation at school, need and urgency of dignified menstruation in school curriculum which was organized jointly by Swiss Water and Sanitation Consortium (Swiss Red Cross through Nepal Red Cross Society, Helvetas and Terre des hommes in Nepal) and led by government of Nepal specially Ministry of Education included Curriculum Development Center (CDC), Regional Education Directorate and Regional Health Directorate. The developed reference books have already been distributed and are being used in all government schools of Dang and Rolpa. If you need more info contact RPF and NRCS, Banke office.
Radha Paudel, Director of Radha Paudel Foundation prepared her trip report from west Nepal, June, 2016. Here, foundation like to share with you all in order to let you know the status of peace, human right, empowerment, Menstrual Restriction as real case. Many experts do consider rural and under develop for the Kathmandu only. We strongly believed that the national identity change if we consider to change from west Nepal. Enjoy reading !
Radha Paudel Foundation conducted series of interaction programs with women politicians from various walks of life in Hetauda, Makwanpur, Nepal in order to review the status of women and women politicians after a year of election at local level in July, 2018.
Dialogue on dignified menstruation, Dailekh
Report on the discussion with local stakeholders, municipality members, mothers groups and faith healers about menstruation and menstrual rights. As a result we enhanced the knowledge of menstruation and it’s physiology, developed a common understanding on the rule of laws hereof and expressed the importance of commitment in terms of the abolishment of menstrual restrictions.
National Disgrace – The Kathmandu Post
Article written by Radha Paudel for the newspaper Kathmandu Post about gender equality and dignified menstruation in Dailekh.
Situational Analysis on Menstrual Practice in Dailekh
Radha Paudel Foundation did an assessment of menstrual practice in the district of Dailekh in Mid-Western Nepal. As a result of the analysis it comes up with recommendations for all the relevant stakeholders on how to ensure dignified menstruations .
A Glance of Madhesh Women Empowerment, Parsa in Nepal
Radha Paudel Foundation conducted a study to explore the social, economical, political and menstrual practices of Mahdesh women, being inhabitants of a region in the eastern Terai of Nepal. The main objective was to thereby assess their empowerment in those different branches.
A MAJOR PUBLICATION FROM RADHA PAUDEL FOUNDATION
Radha paudel who has never missed a chance to support for dignified menstruation has again contributed from her side by writing a book entitled “Dignified menstruation is everyone’s business ” published by Radha paudel foundation.
The book explains the actual responsibility of one towards dignified menstruation deconstructing all over 4 dozens of myths and misconceptions. The foundation published the book for the sake of balanced human right , peace , sustainable development and most of all empowerment .
‘Dignified menstruation ought to be the centre of concern.’